Thursday 20 September 2007

Railway lines have an ambiguous familiarity I can't seem to completely account for. The journey's themselves; across the country; always meant you were heading for an exciting holiday or finally making your way home after one. Using one out of necessity is alien to me, and I presume it stems from that. But looking at the track itself today, with its assortment of anonymous rejects: bottle caps, expired tickets, a multitude of cigarette buds, well, I'm roughly amused. Nostalgia is just as new to me, and although I don't particularly condone the memory of India based on garbage and inefficiency, it is the little things that I notice, and that I take away from as memories.
The 11:44 train back home is an empty one. It's the last train. In comparison, my stint in Bombay saw me using trains as everyday transport, and the last train there (roughly 4AM) is absolutely packed. This city really seems to shut down comfortably before midnight. . So what's mindless banter doing on Random Lines... what its supposed to.

Between the odd and the same; you've gotta be rooting for the odd, don't you?
- Spanglish

1 comment:

Vivek Nenmini said...

The key difference between Mumbai and where you stay and travel at present, I believe, is the population supported by the railway system. In a country like Australia where there is more sheep per square feet than humans(or is it just a myth?), public transport might not be the main mode to commute(the paucity of public being the main reason for that). On the other hand Mumbai with its teeming populations finds it easier to send her inhabitants by the 'local' easier and cheaper.

On the side:How is the comic work coming along?